venerdì 21 gennaio 2011

The Boffa or Paduan Bearded Hen, an almost extinct breed that we are trying to save from oblivion

Gallo di razza Boffa. Foto di Andrea Mangoni.

A new adventure. Yes, this can be considered true.
Whoever follows me will already know that my commitment and my passion are directed towards the conservation of biodiversity, both in natural and livestock. This led me, over and over again, to research and document the wealth of chicken breeds that once roamed my country, and in particular those in my region, the Veneto. Just follow this passion I have been a few years ago to pursue the traces of an endangered breed which I found very fascinating and deplored the loss of which, the ancient race Boffa. These animals, the result of the intersection of crested chickens (Polverara Padovana Great Tuft) and the largest local hens of the countryside of Padua, was known by the second half of the nineteenth century. Its most distinctive feature was the thick tufts of feathers that crowned the beak, like a beard and favorites. Slowly disappeared from rural farmyards, ended with the disappearance of all in the second half of last century.

Primo piano di un gallo di Boffa. Foto di Andrea Mangoni.

But after long unsuccessful searches on the territory of Padua, to see if there were still survivors of these breed, some year ago I found in a poultry forum a picture that showed some chickens that was very similar to the ancient Boffa. Thanks to my friend Marco Bindocci, it was found that a flock of this breed, although not genetically selected, survived by an elderly farmer in central Italy, which has bred this poultry for 50 years, gift from an aunt who married an emigrant to the Venetian which had brought them from their land.

So, in 2009, december, a tiny group of  has arrived in my chicken coop, and in February the first chicks have begun to emerge. I would like to signal you my project: the website:


with news, articles, projects strictly related to the rescue of this beautiful breed. With the website I've started also the pubblication of a blog, as "news dispenser":

Soon came a book and other news. Meanwhile, the chicks are born and grow, and they will more than anything else to shape the future of this breed. I sincerely hope you want to follow me a little 'in this adventure. See you soon!

Gallina di razza Boffa. Foto di Andrea Mangoni.

1 commento:

  1. great..nice posting and publishing by you...appreciate on you...thanks for giving detail..

    poultry

    RispondiElimina